Sunday, November 4, 2012

Once Upon a Time...


Not exactly sure where to start, so it might as well be day one.  It all began in Austin, Texas where Ashley and I met doing our Divemaster course with a company called Dive World.  One Saturday morning we were at St. Edwards University’s swimming pool on the south side of Austin assisting our instructor with some open water students as well as a rescue diver student.  We both showed up not really knowing what to expect nor what we would be doing.  Our instructor put us in charge of doing some buoyancy control skills with the rescue diver at the deep end of the pool while he would be at the other end with his open water students.  So we quickly introduced ourselves to each other, as well as the student, and headed to the other end of the pool.  For me this was the first time doing anything like this in an “instructor” position of any sort, and soon after I found out it was the same situation for Ashley.  So neither of us had a clue of what we should actually be doing nor how to do it, but of course didn’t want to come off as being incapable of doing this seemingly simple task to our instructor.  Long(er) story short, we had a good time making this student think we knew what we were doing and looking back not really teaching him jack shit.  Sorry buddy!   Sometime during the shenanigans we had a chance to briefly share why we were taking the Divemaster and what we hoped to do with it.  As it turns out we had a very similar goal, traveling by a means of diving.  We exchanged emails (no not numbers, I don’t know why…), emailed a couple times, decided we needed to go have a drink and have a chat, and I managed to trick her into liking me enough to see me again. 

For those of you that may not know one of us that well, or perhaps neither of us, let me tell you a bit about us.  Like the true gentleman I am, ladies first!  Ashley was born in 1985 in Austin, Texas and grew up in Georgetown, Texas.  Georgetown is a northeast suburb of Austin.   She went to college at Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas where she received a degree in Mass Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations.  What the really means, I have no idea.  After graduating she worked for a software company in Austin as a Marketing Manager for 4 ½ years, all the way up until a couple weeks before we started our adventure.  Ashley is definitely a mamma’s girl and genuinely cares about her family.  Her family lives in or around Georgetown still.  For being quite the homebody, Ashley definitely has the travel bug.  She has been to Cozumel, Mexico around ten times, traveled around Europe while studying abroad as well as other trips with friends, and up and down both coasts of the United State. Inspired by her mom, grandpa and uncle (whom are all scuba divers), she did her first ever dive in March of 2002 in Lake Travis, a lake just outside of Austin.  Most of her dives have been in Cozumel. 

As for myself…  I was born in Ottumwa, Iowa, also in 1985.  I grew up in a smallish town (population 10,000) called Fairfield, Iowa.  I went to college at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, graduating in 2008 with a degree in computer science.  Unfortunately for me, at about the time I graduated I had come to the realization that sitting inside in a cubicle looking at a computer screen all day was not for me.  I served and managed a nice Japanese restaurant near Iowa City for a few years before deciding I needed to see more than Iowa.  I moved to Austin, Texas about the same time as my older sister and her husband did as well.  I managed an indoor soccer facility for a couple of years, and then worked with my brother-in-law doing some Forex intraday trading as well as a couple of other projects.  I have an amazing family consisting of an older brother and sister, a younger sister, and incredible parents.  As long as I can remember, I have loved traveling.  Most of my traveling has been in the United States, but I have been to some real nice places in the States.  I consider myself a bit of an adrenaline junky… I like snowboarding, wakeboarding, wakesurfing, windsurfing, sailing (more intense than you might think), and many other things.  In particular, anything in, on, under, or around water I can get down with, which of course includes scuba diving.  My dad is a certified diver and talked me into dong my open water diver in Cozumel in 2002, and I have loved it ever since.  I’ve been diving in some crappy lakes in the Midwest US, Hawaii, Cayman Islands, Lake Travis by Austin, and a whole bunch in Mexico.

So what is it that we are doing?  Before leaving Austin we decided we first off had had enough of what we were currently doing, and wanted go somewhere to get our Open Water Scuba Instructor certification.  We figured we could use this job as a crutch to help us sustain our traveling.  So basically go somewhere and work as an instructor for six months to a year and save up some money, and then move on to the next place.  We see this not only as a great opportunity to do some diving in some incredible places, but also to see more than the average tourist sees while on their week-long vacation.  We want to experience what the locals are like, what they eat, what they do for fun, what the culture is like in general. 

In order to make all of this a reality was going to take some work.  We talked about it and decided leaving everything behind was something we seriously wanted to do.  Neither of us was in a financial situation where we were comfortable throwing down minimum $3k cash a piece, so I looked into affordable ways to get your instructors certification.  I discovered an internship program which we were told consisted of working as a Divemaster at an all-inclusive resort somewhere in the Caribbean for six months with no pay in exchange for a FREE instructor’s certification.  It sounded like a good choice so at the beginning of June 2012 we jointly applied for the internship.  We asked to go at the beginning of November due to my younger sister Megan’s wedding at the end of October.  Eventually, they told us we could be accepted, but only if we came sometime in July.  Well July was only a week away at the time of this happening…  It wasn’t exactly how we had pictured it going, but talked to some people and decided if it was something we were serious about doing we should go ahead and do it.  So we accepted and started the process of selling our lives away.  We became a Craigslist addicts, selling as many of our belongings as we could for as much as we could get.  With only a suitcase of clothes, our dive gear, and a few boxes to leave behind with our parents, we had successfully bartered away most everything else that had made us who we were.  Together, we were now ready to set sail and have the experience of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment